Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mesa 5i20 + 7i48 + multiplexing

I compiled the master version of EMC2 (2.5.0~pre) for my initial tests with Mesa hardware. I followed instructions from: "http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2". After I got the EMC2 up and running I started to tweak the .hal and .ini -files.

In the .hal file I added five servo threads and I also added servo related information for each axis.

In the .ini file I used SV12IM_2x7I48_72.BIT firmware for the 5i20 board. I told also that I have five axis (analog servo amps) that I need to control. For initial testing I'm using AXIS-display program (gui) showing information from all five axis. I still have to fill in correct values for each servo-axis, but for initial testing I left values to default.


After I got everything configured correctly (AXIS actually showed all five axis) I connected three servo motors (just encoders) to the 7i48 board. I connected them to ports:1,2 and 5 to see how the multiplexing thing would work (7i48 provides 6-analog servo-interface).


I took a picture of the screen while rotating the axes of the motors. EMC2 actually understood the input that the encoders were giving, multiplexing seems to work quite nicely. Now I have to connect also the servo amps to the 7i48 board to see if I can actually control my AC-servo motors.

1 comment: